New to Westwood?
Westwood Church, formerly known as Twelfth Avenue General Baptist Church, was originally named Independence Church of General Baptists and was founded in July of 1866. The initial site was on Indiana Street between Wabash and Tenth Avenue on Evansville’s west side.
In July of 1885, that property was exchanged for the lot at the corner of Twelfth Avenue and West Indiana Street. However, the Church did not come to be known as Twelfth Avenue General Baptist until September of 1900, when the parsonage was built next door to the church building.
Twelfth Avenue began an aggressive facilities expansion campaign with the purchase of several properties near the Church building in the 1960s. In the early 1970s a new church building was erected at 2225 West Indiana Street and various additional nearby properties were purchased in an attempt to meet the needs of a growing congregation and multiplying ministries.
In the spring of 1996, Twelfth Avenue was re-named Westwood when we moved to our present location at 121 South Boehne Camp Road, just outside Evansville’s city limits but still inside western Vanderburgh County.
We strive today for the continued glorification of Jesus Christ, and we are grateful for the faithfulness of all who have served for that same goal from the church’s founding in 1866.